Friday, June 21, 2013

Christian Graham's Deed of Gift

Sometimes, we find evidence of our ancestor's past that makes us uncomfortable.  This is one of those times.

As I continue to look for evidence that might prove the parentage of Robert Graham (1818-1890) m. Ruth Smith I am always squirreling away any information that comes my way.  A few years ago, my sister Mary sent me this deed of gift, which clearly states the mother son relationship between Christian Graham and her 2 youngest sons Jackson Graham and Robert Graham.  At the time I had never heard of Christian Graham, and I found her gift of a slave was pretty unsettling, so I just put the deed aside and almost forgot about it.  But now that I know that this Robert Graham, living in the right place at the right time, was 1 of the 2 Robert Grahams living in Scott County, Mississippi in 1836.  One of these men is most likely my ancestor.  The question is which one.

Here's the Deed of Gift from Christian to her sons.  Maybe one day, we will know if this Robert Graham is the one who married Ruth Smith or the Robert Graham who married Charlotte Pennington.


Photo of Deed taken by Marty Cassidy 2013


Scott County, Mississippi, Deed & Will Book A 1835 - 1839 part 1 p. 13, Christiana Graham to Jackson Graham and Robert Graham Deed of Gift, 19 Sept 1836; County Court Clerk's Office, Forest.

Abstract: Deed of Gift

p. 13

I Christian Graham of County of Scott, Mississippi for my two youngest sons, Jackson Graham
& Robert Graham give grant and convey jointly a negro Boy Named Aaron about twenty eight years of age which I purchased from John Haynes.

Signed - 19th day of September in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred thirty six in the presence of R. Waterman

Appeared before me Ralph Waterman Clerk of the Probate Court Christiana Graham who acknowledges that she signed the written Deed of Gift freely.  22 day of September 1836.
              
Abstracted by
Norah Glover
20 May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment